jump to navigation

Motorola Planning Huge Job Cuts in Handset Division January 14, 2009

Posted by aikservices in Job Cuts, Mobile, Motorola, Telecom, Wireless.
Tags: , , , ,
trackback

Motorola is reported to be planning huge job cuts at its handsets division amid a cut-back in the number of phones the company plans to launch during this year. The phone news site, PhoneScoop also reported that the company may decide not to have a display stand at the CTIA Wireless trade show in April. The website was citing an unnamed source at the company.

The job cuts are said to be significant – and could amount to half the staff at the handset division.At the end of last year, the firm announced plans to cut a further 400 jobs on top of the 1,500 cuts announced in October. The earlier termination of approximately 1,500 employees, primarily in the Mobile Devices segment will result in pre-tax charges of $104 million in the fourth quarter of 2008.

Last August, the firm recruited former Qualcomm exec, Sanjay Jha to head up the handset division and prepare it for a sale – later cancelled. He said in an interview shortly after taking the job that he would seek to implement changes quickly within the company, although he warned that it was too early to tell when phones with his fingerprints would hit the market given the long handset design cycles.

Wireless Industry News

Comments»

No comments yet — be the first.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: